GUIDE TO BEING A FIRST CLASS CRICKETER
- Cricket is a game in which the opposition must not be under estimated, but rather highly respected
- You as a player must be prepared to contribute when required and this is achieved by practicing long, hard and often.
- Too often players reach what they consider is good enough and don’t strive to go beyond, you must push yourself to do better.
- Be an example to your team mates.
- When the going gets tough and all seems lost strive for that SECOND EFFORT, you will be surprised at the results
- Remember you are part of a team don’t be the one that lets them down
The Great RugbyLeague Coach Jack Gibson, taught me about second effort, I followed his advice, and it took me from an average fast bowler to one that opened the bowling at Lords for Australia.
To Jack Thanks
Analysis of a poor team!
Be aware of the traps so many teams fall into, where lack of commitment and purpose destroys all the good efforts, below are listed typical symptoms of a poor team.
- LACK BALANCE, ESSENTIAL SKILLS, TASKS NOT ACCOMPLISEHED EFFICIENTLY
- GRUMBLING AND RETALIATION BETWEEN TEAM MEMBERS
- UNHEALTHY COMPETITION BETWEEN TEAM MEMBERS AND OTHER TEAMS
- EXPRESSION OF TEAM MEMBERS WHEN ASKED TO ACCEPT A CHALLENGE OR CHANGE
- LACK OF COMMITMENT
- POOR RELATIONS WITH CAPTAINS AND OFFICIALS
- LACK OF COMMITMENT TO HELP OTHER TEAM MEMBERS IMPROVE THEIR SKILLS
- POOR UNDERSTANDING OF THE ROLES PLAYED BY OTHER TEAM MEMBERS
- RESENTMENT TOWARDS INPUT OR ASSITANCE FROM PEOPLE OUTSIDE THE TEAM
- LOW SUPPORT BY TEAM MEMBERS FOR EACH OTHER
- LACK OF GOALS
- POOR FEEDBACK
- LACK OF TEAM SPIRIT OR IDENTITY
- THE ACCEPTENCE OF MEIOCRE PERFORMANCE AS GOOD ENOUGH
Ask yourself, do you want it badly enough!
If so then put that little extra into your training and matches and avoid the above.
This starts with you, are you prepared to change your attitude.
CHANGE YOUR ATTITUDE CHANGES YOUR LIFE
- DISCUSS TEAM SELECTIONS
- TREAT PRACTICE AS AN EXTENTION OF YOUR EGO
- ARRIVE UNPREPARED
- COMPRIMISE WITH YOURSELF – DON’T GIVE IN
- COMPLAIN (IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM SEE THE COACH)
- STAND AROUND DOING NOTHING, TALKING WAISTING TIME
- BEING STUPID – ACCIDIENTS HAPPEN THAT WAY
ü BE PUNCTUAL
ü REGISTER WITH PRACTISE CONVENER
ü START WITH A LAP OF THE OVAL AND LIGHT STRETCH
ü INTIATE SMALL GROUP DRILLS WHEN WAITING
ü BAT SENSIBLE IN THE NETS
ü PRTACVTICE THE WAY YOU INTEND TO PLAY
You are expected on the ground 1 hr before play, in correct attire, 1 lap of oval and light stretch.
The joker in the dressing room is usually the guy who fears failure. So he hides behind his mouth and antics.
There is one captain at all times.
The player that assumed the role of motivator or strategist is only expressing his own short comings. They usually speak in “WE MUST” “WE SHOULD” never do they speak “I must”
The game is played in sessions, be aware of the rhythm of play. THINK
Sledging, is a reflection on all the team members and the club, and only serves to wreck the yours and team goals
Try to spend time with the opposition after the match.
Remember you represent the club & its sponsors as well as your family.
Watch the game as much as you can.
If you lack experience , you must create it in your mind, this is called SYNTHETIC EXPERIENCE
Visualize your rhythm bowling, or batting etc
Always be prepared, program yourself, don’t sit in a closet, in the dark, just hoping that things go your way.
This type of player is called a “HOPE” player and one without commitment.
If you as a bowler are getting slogged, stop get your bearings and adjust.
Replay instantly the ball in your mind was it a good ball or bad – analyze and adjust.
If you have made a mistake – there is a reason. Figure it out and fix it.
Batting is the same principal.
Try to get the opponent off his rhythm, and then you will be in control. The mark of a good player is the fact he can adjust in the heat of combat.
Some players are great when there is no pressure, but fall badly when it matters. These guys are FRONT RUNNERS . You cannot rely on them. They promise a lot and give little.
Visualize yourself being successful, it will give you confidence and relaxes you. A player must admit at times that he was wrong. Admit it and change, being stubborn is an ego thing.
PRESSURE IS REALY A FEAR OF FAILURE Once again visualize what you need to change the greatest mistake is the fear of making a mistake.
Mentally tough athletes dictate the game circumstances.
VISUALIZATION is the most over used term , and the most under used skill.
Visualization is a self directed imaging, designed to show the body what you want it to happen. 20% of the fibers in the eyes retina lead directly to the motor cortex of the brain
We all have off days and will have them again. Consider the down times as putting you mind into a charger like we recharge a battery. It is important not to allow yourself to have self pity – why me!
Remember the front runners the guys who does it when it’s easy and drops the ball when it tough
Never give in – Defeat is a lesson to be learnt and only a measure of your ability application at the time.
Mental Toughness is
ü BEINGING COMMAND [CHANGE IF YOU ARE NOT]
ü ABLE TO ADJUST [ DON’T BE STUBBORN]
ü REPLAY [GET THE FEEL OF GREATNESS]
Intense DESIRE is the key.
When you visualize a task remember to do it in detail and vividly.
Shadow batting – bowling – catching helps program reactions.
In fielding a good player does not get surprised. He expects every delivery to come to him, so be prepared.
The batsmen is trying to surprise you surprise him.
Muscle memory is programming of the sub-conscious.
It’s a reflex action
If you spend too much time thing then it becomes conscious and usually too late
Set Goals, consciously and make them happen sub-consciously
‘If you think long enough, no doubt negative thoughts may flood in.
Those who cannot adjust in the heat of combat are doomed to fail.
A successful player looks and acts mentally tough. So what wrong with acting that way.
Intimidation in the game is a weapon, however after much thought it is a poor weapon when you consider your opponent is already scared of failure. So far better to be mentally tough and use the conditions and exploit every angle, after all it’s about who cracks first?
How much you devote to cricket is important. However to be at your best a balance has to be made in your life, friends, family work and recreation.
If you have given 100% and lost, don’t get mad or frustrated accept that on the day you were not up to it however if you only put 90% then you should feel disappointed “Greg Norman
Remember the game is meant to be fun.
Some years back I was asked by a player “ What do I have to do to stay in the side ?”
I reflected for a while and replied, your eyes and your ears are you best coach, compare yourself to the better players and fins what is lacking in your game , it’s how quickly you adjust, recognize the areas of strengths and weaknesses and rectify, the rest is fate.
The opposition is relentless looking for ways to put you down. Practice then takes a new meaning
The meaning of power and importance you have in a team is measured by how much they depend on you.
Power can be used to get people to react by 4 ways
ü Coercion [ threats] this does not work in the long run
ü Reward 9 sooner or later they want more for less]
ü Persuasion [ will you do me a favor, this leaves you owing]
ü Knowledge [ the more you know the more dependent people are and your power increases]
- We must not underestimate our opponents – but it’s a great fault if we overestimate their ability
- If you think you are not giving of your best, its probably because you are confused. You did not know exactly what was required and expected, simplify
- Never look to be well like, before being well respected
- Learn how to work hard, sacrifice and fight for every inch all the time. Cricket plays a small part in physical involvement but the lessons are for ever
- Winners are the ones the game means more to.
- Internal problems if not dealt correctly will eventually lead to destroying the goal
- You should have a plan that will fit every situation, play session by session.Tomorrow’s problems are governed by the way we handle to-day’s
- When someone says you did your best , there is no higher praise.
- A man’s character is measured by the choice he makes under pressure
- Fear of failure is every one’s enemy, courage is your security
- Don’t be selfish
- Act professionally at all times
- When you start looking for shorts cuts , then find something else to do
- If you want something bad enough you will work all season for it
- How you act in adversity will be the measuring stick on how important your in the side.
- Pressure is on the character not the interlect
- The player who like the fancy stuff is doomed to make simple mistakes
- Winning is personal – to be a winner you must be satisfied with your own performance. Its only limited value if the team wins but you have had a shocker.
Ian Healy had this stuck to the inside of his kit bag to remind him every time he went to get something. Helped him focus.
For it’s all in the state of mind
If think you are beaten, you are
If you think you dare not, you don’t
If you think you can’t win and you know you can’t It’s a cinch you won’t
For its out in the world you’ll find
Success begins in a fellows will
For its’ all in the state of mind
For many a race has been lost
Nor even a step begun
And many a coward has fallen
Before his work’s begun
Think big and your deeds will grow
Think small and you’ll fall behind
Think that you can and you will
For it’s all in the state of mind
The race doesn’t always go
To the bigger faster man
But the race sometimes goes
TO THE MAN WHO THINKS HE CAN